Tuesday 28 January 2014

Fascinating Feathers...



I love a wedding. Unfortunately I haven't been invited to many because I was the first of my friends and family to tie the knot. However, a couple of years ago me and my husband were invited to a black tie wedding down in Bath (a five and a half hour drive with a bit of time added on to check why my car was drinking oil - if you can picture a couple in a tux and long evening dress under the bonnet of a car on the M4 then you get it!)

Anyway, as it was black tie I didn't want to wear an embarrassingly big hat but instead opted for a fascinator to compliment my long red silk dress. However, to find a delicate fascinator in the colours I required (and that didn't cost a small fortune) was quite a feat. So I decided to make one.

I knew I wanted a flower and some feathers in either black or silver. So I headed to Claire's accessories. I turn 30 in a couple of weeks but will still be found in this tween-angers dream shop racking through the sale items. Usually then to dismantle them a couple of hours later and turning them into something else. I love it... Even if it is embarrassing to admit it!

I ended up buying a small silver rose with a clasp on the back and a couple of pairs of feather earrings.

I used the rose as my base. I dismantled the earrings (I loved the spotted feathers) and arranged the feathers behind it. I glued them in place using super glue. CAUTION: when using super glue watch your fingers but also be careful to hide where you have glued as it can leave a white residue when dry!

I also dismantled an old hairband that I wore to another wedding (and had been dubious about my choice ever since) but I loved the butterflies on it so took them all off. I placed one on the feathers at an angle and then glued it in place.

I then left it to dry for 24 hours.

I was pleased with the final result and wore it to the wedding as planned. And got lots of compliments. So in future I plan to make my millinery wear... And see what I come up with next!

Claire's: http://www.claires.co.uk


>

No comments:

Post a Comment